Police were searching for teens behind San Diego mosque shooting before the bloodshed began

Police were searching for teens behind San Diego mosque shooting before the bloodshed began
A body is covered with a tarp at the scene of a shooting outside the Islamic Center of San Diego Monday, May 18, 2026, in San Diego. (AP Photo/Gregory Bull)

SAN DIEGO, May 18 – A deadly shooting at a mosque in San Diego has shaken the local Muslim community and raised troubling questions about whether the violence could have been prevented. Authorities revealed that police officers were already searching for two teenagers connected to the attack before gunfire erupted at the Islamic Center of San Diego, where three men lost their lives in what investigators are treating as a possible hate crime.

According to San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl, the investigation began earlier that same day after the mother of one of the suspects contacted police to report that her teenage son had disappeared from home and was believed to be suicidal. She also informed officers that firearms were missing from the residence and that her vehicle had been taken without permission.

Law enforcement agencies quickly began searching for the teenager and another young acquaintance believed to be traveling with him. Authorities later identified the suspects as a 17-year-old and an 18-year-old. Investigators said the pair were eventually found dead inside a vehicle several blocks away from the mosque after apparently taking their own lives following the attack.

Police officials stated that officers spent hours attempting to locate the teenagers before the shooting occurred. During the search, investigators learned that at least one of the suspects had changed into camouflage clothing before leaving home. Officers used automated license plate reader systems in an attempt to track the missing vehicle and searched multiple areas across the city, including a nearby shopping mall.

Authorities also contacted a local school connected to one of the teens while investigators continued gathering information from family members. Despite those efforts, the attack unfolded roughly two hours after the initial missing person report was filed.

Emergency responders rushed to the Islamic Center of San Diego shortly after reports of gunfire were received. Police said officers arrived within minutes, but three victims had already died by the time they reached the scene.

Investigators believe the casualties could have been far worse if not for the actions of a security guard who confronted the attackers during the chaos. Police Chief Scott Wahl publicly praised the guard’s response, describing his actions as courageous and lifesaving during a press briefing following the tragedy.

Community members later identified the security guard as Amin Abdullah, a longtime figure at the mosque who had reportedly spent more than a decade helping protect worshippers and visitors at the Islamic center.

Shaykh Uthman Ibn Farooq, a family friend who spoke with Abdullah’s relatives after the attack, described him as someone deeply committed to safeguarding innocent people. He said Abdullah had dedicated himself to security work because he believed strongly in protecting the community.

The Islamic Center of San Diego also honored Abdullah in an emotional statement shared online. The mosque described him as a brave man who continued defending others until his final moments. Leaders at the center said his death leaves a painful void within the community.

The mosque announced that the facility would remain closed until further notice as families mourned the victims and investigators continued processing evidence connected to the attack.

Located in a diverse neighborhood filled with homes, apartment complexes, Middle Eastern grocery stores, and restaurants, the Islamic Center of San Diego serves as one of the largest Muslim gathering places in the region. The center hosts five daily prayers and also operates the Al Rashid School, which provides instruction in Arabic language studies, Quran education, and Islamic teachings for young students.

Television aerial footage from the aftermath showed a tense and emotional scene as dozens of children were escorted out of the mosque property by adults while police vehicles surrounded the area. Witnesses described widespread fear and confusion as families tried to determine whether loved ones were safe.

Imam Taha Hassane, who serves as the mosque’s director, condemned the violence and described the attack as deeply disturbing. He emphasized that the Islamic center has long focused on interfaith outreach, education, and strengthening relationships with people from all backgrounds across San Diego.

Civil rights organizations also reacted strongly to the tragedy. The San Diego chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations, commonly known as CAIR, issued a statement condemning the shooting and expressing concern about rising hostility directed toward Muslim communities in the United States.

CAIR-San Diego Executive Director Tazheen Nizam said places of worship and schools should always remain safe environments where families can gather without fear. The organization called for unity and support for those affected by the attack.

Investigators later disclosed that early evidence uncovered during the inquiry suggested the suspects may have expressed generalized anti-Muslim or hateful rhetoric before carrying out the shooting. While officials noted there had been no known direct threat made against the mosque beforehand, detectives said the case is being investigated as a hate crime due to material recovered during the investigation.

Authorities spent Tuesday preparing multiple search warrants tied to the suspects as detectives worked to determine what motivated the teenagers and how the situation escalated into deadly violence.

The attack has renewed concerns nationwide about security at religious institutions and the growing threat of ideologically motivated violence involving young individuals. Faith leaders across San Diego have since called for stronger community support and increased protection for houses of worship.

President Trump later described the incident as a “terrible situation” while offering condolences to the victims and their families.

Leave a Comment