
WASHINGTON, May 6 – Tensions between Iran and the United States appeared to ease slightly on Wednesday, after Tehran confirmed it was examining a new American proposal aimed at ending months of military confrontation across the Middle East. While officials on both sides signaled cautious optimism, several of the most sensitive issues fueling the conflict remain unresolved, including Iran’s nuclear activities and control over the strategically vital Strait of Hormuz.
The latest diplomatic push comes after weeks of rising instability that shook global energy markets, disrupted shipping routes, and increased fears of a broader regional war. Financial markets reacted positively to reports of possible progress, with oil prices dropping sharply and international stocks gaining momentum as investors hoped the crisis could move toward a negotiated settlement.
Iran’s foreign ministry, speaking through comments carried by the state-linked ISNA news agency, confirmed that authorities were studying the proposal and would respond through diplomatic channels. In Washington, President Trump expressed confidence that Tehran was interested in reaching an agreement, though his tone throughout the day shifted between optimism and renewed threats of military action.
Diplomatic Signals Offer Hope but Distrust Remains Deep
Speaking to reporters inside the Oval Office, President Trump said recent discussions between American and Iranian representatives had been productive and suggested an agreement was possible in the near future.
According to Trump, both sides had engaged in “very good talks” over the previous 24 hours. He also claimed Iran was eager to strike a deal that could formally end the conflict that erupted on February 28.
However, earlier in the day, Trump adopted a much harsher tone on social media, warning that U.S. military strikes on Iranian targets could resume if negotiations collapsed. In a post shared on Truth Social, the president described the assumption that Tehran would accept the proposal as “a big assumption,” underscoring the uncertainty surrounding the talks.
Sources familiar with ongoing mediation efforts said negotiators were close to finalizing a brief memorandum that would officially halt the war and launch a broader phase of negotiations. The discussions are reportedly being facilitated through international intermediaries, including Pakistani officials involved in behind-the-scenes diplomacy.
The proposed framework would reportedly establish a 30-day negotiation period focused on reopening the Strait of Hormuz, easing American sanctions on Iran, and discussing limitations on Tehran’s nuclear activities. Still, the draft proposal appears to avoid immediate commitments from either side.
That absence of concrete concessions has fueled skepticism within Iran’s political establishment. Ebrahim Rezaei, spokesperson for the Iranian parliament’s influential foreign policy and national security committee, criticized the proposal by describing it as closer to an American “wish-list” than a realistic compromise.
Iranian Parliament Speaker Mohammad Baqer Qalibaf also appeared dismissive of claims that an agreement was close. In a message posted on social media in English, he mocked the optimism surrounding the negotiations and accused Washington of attempting to shape public perception after failing to secure unrestricted shipping access through the Strait of Hormuz.
The waterway remains one of the most critical energy routes in the world. Before the conflict began, nearly one-fifth of global oil and gas shipments passed through the narrow channel connecting the Persian Gulf to international waters. Disruption there has rattled energy markets for months and forced governments worldwide to monitor the situation closely.
Oil Markets React as Military Pressure Continues
News of potential diplomatic progress triggered immediate reactions across financial markets. Global oil prices dropped sharply after reports surfaced that Washington and Tehran were discussing terms for a ceasefire arrangement.
Benchmark Brent crude briefly fell around 11%, reaching its lowest point in nearly two weeks before stabilizing above the $100-per-barrel mark later in the trading session. International stock markets rallied, while bond yields declined as investors interpreted the negotiations as a possible turning point in the conflict.
At the same time, military tensions in the region have not fully subsided.
The United States recently paused a naval operation designed to reopen the Strait of Hormuz after Iran’s blockade disrupted commercial shipping. President Trump confirmed the suspension of the mission on Tuesday, citing encouraging diplomatic developments.
American media outlet NBC News, quoting unnamed U.S. officials, reported that Saudi Arabia had objected to Washington’s decision to publicly announce military escort operations in the Gulf region. According to the report, Saudi leaders informed the United States that they would not permit American aircraft to use certain Saudi military facilities or airspace for the operation.
The report further stated that a conversation between Trump and Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman failed to resolve those disagreements. Neither Saudi authorities nor the White House issued immediate official statements addressing the claims.
Despite the temporary pause in escort operations, American military activity in the region continues. U.S. Central Command stated Wednesday that its forces fired upon an Iranian-flagged tanker that allegedly violated the ongoing maritime blockade. Officials said the vessel, which was reportedly not carrying cargo at the time, was disabled while attempting to move toward an Iranian port.
Meanwhile, several major issues remain noticeably absent from the current peace framework.
Sources involved in the mediation efforts indicated the proposed memorandum does not directly address Washington’s long-standing demands regarding Iran’s missile program or Tehran’s support for armed proxy groups across the Middle East. Those issues have historically represented some of the biggest obstacles to any lasting agreement.
The proposal also reportedly avoids immediate discussion of Iran’s uranium stockpile, including more than 400 kilograms of highly enriched uranium that Western governments have long viewed as a major proliferation concern.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu weighed in on the matter Wednesday, saying he and President Trump agreed that all enriched uranium should ultimately be removed from Iran to prevent the country from developing nuclear weapons capability.
Iranian officials continue to deny allegations that the country seeks to build a nuclear bomb, insisting that its nuclear activities are intended for peaceful civilian purposes.
Although diplomacy appears to have regained momentum, analysts say the path toward a final agreement remains fragile. Deep mistrust, conflicting security interests, and unresolved regional disputes continue to complicate efforts to secure a durable peace between Tehran and Washington.