
HONG KONG, Dec 1 – Hong Kong authorities have intensified their investigation into the city’s deadliest fire in decades and have now taken 13 people into custody on suspicion of manslaughter. The massive blaze, which swept through multiple residential towers last Wednesday, has claimed at least 151 lives and left dozens of families waiting anxiously for news of missing relatives. Early investigative reports point to renovation materials that did not meet safety standards, a factor officials say significantly intensified the spread of the flames across the seven tower blocks at the Wang Fuk Court estate.
With rescue teams still combing through the charred ruins, the search for victims continues under some of the most challenging conditions emergency crews have faced in recent memory. Many residents were trapped in stairwells and on rooftops as the fire raced upward, leaving behind harrowing scenes of destruction that have shaken the city.
Unsafe Materials Questioned
Investigators have revealed that a green construction mesh wrapped around bamboo scaffolding failed to meet fire retardant requirements. Laboratory tests performed on several samples showed that the mesh ignited far more easily than approved materials. According to officials overseeing the probe, contractors used this mesh in areas that were difficult for inspectors to reach, a decision that may have allowed the hazard to go unnoticed during routine checks.
Senior government representative Eric Chan stated that some renovation teams used materials that concealed fire risks from regulatory oversight, placing thousands of residents in danger. Investigators also discovered that foam insulation used during the renovation process helped fuel the blaze. In addition, fire alarms within the complex were reportedly malfunctioning at the time, preventing many residents from receiving timely warnings.
Authorities have emphasized that the scope of the investigation is broad and will examine every stage of the renovation process, including oversight procedures and the performance of companies involved in the project.
A City in Mourning
As the death toll continues to rise, the tragedy has drawn large crowds of mourners. Thousands have lined the canal next to the estate as a show of solidarity with the victims and their families. The deceased include at least nine domestic workers from Indonesia and one from the Philippines, prompting upcoming vigils in cities such as Tokyo, London, and Taipei.
The scale of the public response reflects both grief and anger, especially from residents who said they had previously reported fire hazard concerns. Some community members claimed that warnings about the flammability of the scaffolding mesh used in renovation work were raised as early as September of last year. The Labour Department later acknowledged that residents were told they faced only low fire risk at the time.
Meanwhile, tensions surrounding the tragedy have grown amid signs of public frustration over safety lapses. Local officials have said they are aware of individuals using the event to push political messages, and enforcement agencies have issued warnings against actions they view as harmful to Hong Kong’s stability. A young citizen involved in gathering signatures for an independent investigation was reportedly held in custody for nearly two days before being released. Authorities declined to provide details about the case, citing operational confidentiality.
Security Chief Chris Tang addressed concerns during a press briefing, noting that some individuals with what he described as harmful motives were attempting to exploit the crisis. He said the government would take appropriate measures when necessary, including legal action.
Ongoing Search Efforts
Rescue teams in protective suits and face masks continue to enter the most heavily damaged towers. Images released by authorities show responders navigating stairwells covered in ash, inspecting rooms with completely charred furniture, and wading through ankle deep water left behind by days of firefighting efforts. Officials warn that the search may take weeks, particularly in the upper floors where the blaze burned hottest.
Some remains have been reduced to ash, making identification extremely difficult. More than 40 people are still unaccounted for, and officials have said that not all may be recovered due to the intensity of the fire.
The seven blocks affected by the disaster housed more than 4,000 people according to census data. Those who managed to escape the flames now face the challenge of rebuilding their lives. Over 1,100 evacuees have already been moved from emergency shelters into temporary residences, while hundreds of others have been placed in youth hostels and hotels. Many families fled with nothing more than the clothes they were wearing. In response, the government is offering emergency financial assistance of HK$10,000 to each household. Support services have also been set up to help residents replace essential documents such as identity cards, passports, and marriage certificates.
A Disaster Echoing Hong Kong’s Past
This tragedy marks the city’s deadliest fire since 1948, when a warehouse inferno claimed 176 lives. The scale of the devastation has stunned the public, especially as the city prepares for upcoming legislative elections. Amid the political sensitivities surrounding the disaster, several individuals have reportedly been arrested for behavior authorities described as seditious. Officials have reiterated that attempts to use the crisis to restart unrest similar to events seen in 2019 will be met with strict consequences.
Hong Kong now faces a long recovery process, not only for the families who lost loved ones but also for the broader community seeking answers about how such a catastrophic failure in safety and oversight could have occurred. As the investigation progresses and more details emerge, residents and officials alike hope for accountability and reforms that can prevent another tragedy of this magnitude.