
WASHINGTON, May 23 – A deadly shooting unfolded near the White House on Saturday, after a man allegedly opened fire close to a security checkpoint, prompting an immediate response from U.S. Secret Service personnel. Authorities said the suspect was shot by officers after he reportedly began firing near one of the highly secured areas surrounding the presidential complex.
The incident occurred while President Donald Trump was inside the White House. Officials stated that the president was not harmed and that no Secret Service personnel suffered injuries during the confrontation. The shooting has once again raised concerns about security threats in the nation’s capital, particularly around locations connected to the president and federal government operations.
Secret Service Responds to Armed Threat Near White House
According to information released by the U.S. Secret Service, the confrontation took place shortly after 6 p.m. local time near the intersection of 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue, only a short distance from the White House grounds.
Officials said the suspect removed a firearm from a bag and began shooting in the vicinity of a security checkpoint. Secret Service officers assigned to protect the area immediately responded and returned fire. The suspect was struck during the exchange and later transported to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
Law enforcement officials later identified the deceased suspect as 21-year-old Nasire Best. Investigators have begun examining the circumstances leading up to the shooting and are reviewing evidence collected at the scene.
Court records indicate that Best had previous encounters with law enforcement involving White House security. In July 2025, authorities arrested him after he allegedly attempted to enter a separate White House checkpoint without authorization. Records show he reportedly ignored commands from officers, claimed he was Jesus Christ, and expressed a desire to be arrested.
Following that incident, a judge issued a pretrial stay-away order, a legal restriction commonly used to prevent defendants from approaching specific locations while awaiting court proceedings. Subsequent court filings reportedly showed concerns regarding compliance with the order, and a bench warrant was later issued after he failed to meet certain court requirements.
Saturday’s incident remains under investigation, and authorities have not publicly discussed a possible motive.
A second individual was also injured during the shooting. Officials stated that the person was a bystander who happened to be in the area when gunfire erupted. Investigators are still working to determine whether the injury resulted from shots fired by the suspect or rounds discharged by responding officers.
Federal investigators, including personnel from the Federal Bureau of Investigation, arrived at the scene shortly after the shooting. FBI Director Kash Patel confirmed through social media that bureau personnel were assisting with the investigation and gathering evidence.
The area surrounding the incident quickly transformed into an active crime scene. Witnesses observed law enforcement officers placing evidence markers across sidewalks and roadways near the White House complex. Crime scene tape was stretched across portions of the area as investigators documented physical evidence and interviewed witnesses.
Medical supplies used during emergency treatment efforts were also visible near the location, highlighting the rapid response from first responders following the exchange of gunfire.
Latest Incident Adds to Growing Security Concerns Around Trump
The shooting marked the third reported gunfire-related incident near President Trump within roughly a month, underscoring ongoing security challenges facing federal protective agencies.
Earlier this year, authorities investigated what prosecutors described as an attempted assassination plot involving the president. The case stemmed from an April 25 incident during the annual White House Correspondents’ Association Dinner in Washington. According to federal prosecutors, a California man allegedly breached a security area and discharged a shotgun during the event. The defendant has pleaded not guilty, and the case remains before the courts.
Less than two weeks later, another shooting occurred near the Washington Monument, several blocks from the White House. Authorities alleged that a Texas man fired at law enforcement officers before being shot and taken into custody. A teenage bystander was injured during that incident.
The latest shooting has renewed discussions about the increasing frequency of security threats around major government institutions and high-profile public officials.
Members of the White House press corps also experienced the frightening moments firsthand. Journalists working on the White House grounds reported hearing multiple gunshots shortly after the incident began. Security personnel instructed reporters and staff members to move indoors and remain sheltered while officers secured the area.
Among those present was ABC News Senior White House Correspondent Selina Wang, who later shared a video recorded moments before the shooting erupted. In the footage, Wang was preparing a routine social media report concerning comments made earlier by President Trump regarding diplomatic discussions with Iran.
The video captured the sudden sound of repeated gunfire, prompting an immediate reaction as she sought cover. The clip quickly spread across social media platforms and attracted millions of views, illustrating the chaotic atmosphere that unfolded near one of the world’s most heavily protected locations.
The site of Saturday’s shooting is also notable because it lies relatively close to the location of another deadly attack that occurred in Washington last year. In that case, two members of the West Virginia National Guard were ambushed. U.S. Army Specialist Sarah Beckstrom later died from her injuries, while Staff Sgt. Andrew Wolfe survived after suffering critical wounds. A suspect was subsequently charged in connection with that attack.
As investigators continue examining evidence from the latest shooting, officials are expected to review surveillance footage, witness accounts, and forensic findings to establish a complete timeline of events.
For now, authorities maintain that the threat was contained quickly and that the White House remained secure throughout the incident. Nevertheless, the shooting serves as another reminder of the persistent security challenges surrounding the nation’s most prominent government institutions.
Federal agencies have indicated that additional information will be released as the investigation progresses and more details become available.