Hundreds still missing after massive Hong Kong fire as negligence claims intensify

Hundreds still missing after massive Hong Kong fire as negligence claims intensify
Firefighters work to extinguish flames as bamboo scaffolding burns across multiple buildings at Wang Fuk Court housing estate in Tai Po, Hong Kong, China, November 26. REUTERS/Tyrone Siu

HONG KONG, Nov 27 – A catastrophic fire in a Hong Kong housing complex has left the city in shock after at least 55 people lost their lives and nearly 300 others remain unaccounted for. Firefighters spent more than a full day fighting intense flames that tore through several residential towers in the Wang Fuk Court estate in Tai Po, a densely populated district near the border with mainland China. The blaze, one of the deadliest the city has faced in decades, has raised serious concerns over building safety, renovation standards, and the responsibility of private contractors.

The city leader, John Lee, announced a HK$300 million ($38.6 million) relief fund for affected families and pledged a thorough investigation into what authorities suspect may be a case of gross negligence by a construction and engineering firm handling renovation work at the complex.

Investigations Focus on Contractor Negligence

Authorities quickly turned their attention to the building contractor responsible for maintenance and renovation at the estate, suggesting that unsafe materials and questionable construction practices might have contributed to the severity and rapid spread of the flames. Police officers conducted a detailed search of the company’s office, seizing internal records, employee lists, mobile phones, computers, and bidding documents.

Investigators identified the contractor as Prestige Construction and Engineering Company Limited. According to police superintendent Eileen Chung, there is strong reason to believe that decisions made by those overseeing renovation operations directly fueled the disaster. Chung stated that the firm may have allowed hazardous materials to remain or be installed around the buildings, causing the fire to escalate uncontrollably and resulting in substantial casualties.

Three individuals linked to the contractor, including two directors and an engineering consultant, were arrested on suspicion of manslaughter. Police noted that sections of protective mesh, plastic coverings, and foam materials used to seal windows might not meet fire safety standards. Some of these elements were discovered on buildings not yet touched by the blaze, prompting questions about broader safety issues across the estate.

China’s President Xi Jinping called for an all out effort to contain the situation and reduce further loss of life, signalling the seriousness with which both local and national leaders view the tragedy.

Residents Flee as Flames Pour from High Rise Blocks

Footage from the scene showed towering flames bursting from several of the 32 story buildings, many of which were wrapped in green construction mesh and bamboo scaffolding due to ongoing renovation. Firefighters struggled to navigate the intense heat inside the stairwells and corridors, while deep smoke hampered visibility even in open areas around the towers.

By Thursday, authorities said the fire had been extinguished in four of the seven affected blocks, while the remaining towers were declared under control. More than 1,200 firefighters and hundreds of rescue vehicles were deployed in the effort, marking one of the largest mobilizations in recent Hong Kong history.

Families stood outside shelters throughout the night waiting for any sign of their loved ones. One grieving mother, identified only by the surname Ng, held a graduation photo of her daughter as she searched desperately for information. She said both her daughter and husband remained missing and expressed frustration over the lack of water resources residents had access to at the time the fire erupted.

Another long term resident, a 51 year old man surnamed Wan, recalled that he had lived in the estate for more than two decades. He described feeling devastated after witnessing the tower where he lived engulfed in flames, stating that everything he owned was now gone.

An online document circulated among residents provided a growing list of missing individuals, offering room numbers, floor levels, and brief descriptions. Some entries were simple and heart wrenching, such as a note about a mother in her seventies or a family with two young children. Others were more blunt, including one stating that a resident on the twenty seventh floor had already been confirmed dead. The validity of each entry remains part of ongoing verification efforts.

City Faces Tough Questions on Housing and Safety

Wang Fuk Court is home to more than 4,600 residents across eight apartment blocks. The complex was built in the early 1980s under a subsidized ownership program and has long served as a lifeline for middle income families seeking affordable homes. That affordability has become increasingly rare in Hong Kong, a city known for some of the most expensive real estate in the world.

The government confirmed that the estate had been undergoing a year long renovation project costing approximately HK$330 million, with each household contributing as part of shared maintenance fees. The city’s corruption watchdog announced that it had begun looking into potential graft linked to the project, adding another layer of scrutiny to the ongoing investigation.

In response to the disaster, government officials announced discussions on phasing out traditional bamboo scaffolding in favor of metal alternatives, which are considered safer during construction on high rise buildings. The decision reflects longstanding concerns that bamboo structures, though common in Hong Kong, may not be suitable for large scale renovation projects on tall residential blocks, especially when combined with plastic sheeting and other flammable materials.

Several companies and charitable organizations, including well known Chinese automakers and foundations, pledged donations to support survivors and grieving families. With legislative elections approaching, many observers believe the tragedy may intensify public frustration over housing conditions, contractor oversight, and the government’s broader approach to public safety.

1 thought on “Hundreds still missing after massive Hong Kong fire as negligence claims intensify”

Leave a Comment