Trump orders Pentagon to scale back joint exercises with South Korea

Trump orders Pentagon to scale back joint exercises with South Korea
A vehicle from U.S. Army’s the Stryker Combat Team crosses a floating bridge on the Namhan River during the combined river-crossing drill between South Korea and the United States as a part of the Ulchi Freedom Shield 25 in Yeoju, South Korea, Aug. 27, 2025. (AP Photo/Lee Jin-man, File)

WASHINGTON, Aug 16 – President Donald Trump has directed the Pentagon to significantly reduce the scale of annual military exercises with South Korea, arguing that the drills are expensive, send an unnecessarily hostile message to North Korea and do not reflect his administration’s current approach toward Pyongyang.

Trump announced the decision Sunday as the United States and South Korea were already conducting their latest round of joint training. He said the exercises should be reduced partly because South Korea had declined a recent request to participate alongside the United States in efforts related to the war against Iran.

The decision represents a significant shift in the administration’s approach to one of Washington’s most important military alliances in Asia. It also highlights Trump’s continuing interest in maintaining a direct relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, despite Pyongyang’s expanding nuclear and missile programs and its repeated criticism of U.S.-South Korean military cooperation.

In a post on social media, Trump said the exercises were costly and described them as a signal that was “totally inappropriate and hostile” toward North Korea. He said Kim’s government had been “unthreatening and respectful” toward him during his time in the White House..

Trump said he had instructed Secretary of War Pete Hegseth to “substantially reduce” the exercises, while acknowledging that the military training had already begun and could not simply be canceled.

What The US Military Says About The Joint Exercises

Trump linked the decision to broader frustrations with U.S. allies over their willingness to support Washington’s military campaign against Iran.

According to Trump, he recently asked South Korean President Lee Jae Myung whether Seoul would join the United States in the “denuclearization” of Iran. Trump said the South Korean government declined, responding, “No thanks!”

The White House has increasingly pressed U.S. allies to provide greater support for American military and security objectives. Trump has also criticized NATO members over what he considers insufficient assistance for the U.S. campaign against Iran, while European governments continue to face security concerns linked to Russia’s growing military pressure in the Baltic region.

South Korea has traditionally relied heavily on its military alliance with the United States for protection against North Korea. Nearly 28,500 U.S. troops are stationed in South Korea, and the two countries conduct regular exercises intended to ensure that their forces can respond quickly if fighting breaks out on the Korean Peninsula.

The latest decision therefore carries implications beyond the immediate training schedule. Military exercises are considered an important part of maintaining operational coordination between American and South Korean forces, particularly because the two militaries would be expected to work together under extremely demanding conditions in the event of a conflict.

The announcement also comes only months after Hegseth publicly praised South Korea for increasing its defense spending and taking a greater role in the security of the Korean Peninsula.

During a Pentagon meeting in May, Hegseth described Seoul’s defense commitments as evidence of alliance burden-sharing and praised South Korea’s willingness to assume greater responsibility for regional security. The remarks suggested that the administration viewed the alliance as an important model for how U.S. partners should contribute to their own defense.

Trump’s latest order appears to mark a change in that tone.

Military Drills Were Designed to Prepare for North Korean Threats

The joint exercises, known as Ulchi Freedom Shield, began Monday and were scheduled to continue for 11 days. About 18,000 South Korean troops were expected to participate, with U.S. forces joining them in a series of training activities designed to improve combined military readiness.

The U.S. military has described the annual exercises as a central part of the alliance’s preparations for potential threats from North Korea. The drills are intended to strengthen the ability of American and South Korean forces to operate together and maintain the military coordination necessary for defending both countries.

Training scenarios included complex battlefield operations, a live-fire exercise focused on precision targeting and maneuver, a wet-gap crossing and the movement of military equipment stored in advance for use during a potential crisis.

South Korea’s Defense Ministry confirmed that the exercises began as planned, despite Trump’s subsequent order to scale them back.

The timing is particularly significant because North Korea recently resumed ballistic missile testing. Earlier this month, South Korea, the United States and Japan detected two ballistic missiles launched by North Korea, marking the country’s first ballistic weapons tests since late June.

The launches landed in waters off North Korea’s eastern coast and demonstrated that Pyongyang continues to develop and test its missile capabilities despite international restrictions.

North Korea has long condemned U.S.-South Korean military exercises, describing them as preparations for an invasion. On Friday, Pyongyang again threatened unspecified “stern” measures against the United States and South Korea, calling the military drills a rehearsal for an aggressive war.

North Korean authorities have frequently responded to joint exercises with missile tests and other displays of military capability. Analysts say Pyongyang uses the drills as both a justification for weapons development and a way to rally domestic support around Kim’s leadership.

Trump’s decision was criticized by Democratic Sen. Mark Kelly, a former Navy pilot, who said reducing the exercises would weaken U.S. and South Korean military preparedness.

“Hollowing out these joint exercises is shortsighted and a mistake,” Kelly wrote on social media.

The criticism reflects concerns among some U.S. lawmakers and military experts that reducing combined training could gradually undermine the readiness of forces that have spent decades preparing to operate together.

Trump, however, has repeatedly questioned the cost and strategic value of large-scale military exercises with South Korea.

The issue is not new for his administration. During Trump’s first term, he surprised South Korean officials and U.S. military leaders when he announced after his 2018 summit with Kim in Singapore that he wanted to stop what he called “provocative” war games. At the time, Trump argued that ending the exercises could save the United States a substantial amount of money while creating an environment more favorable to negotiations with North Korea.

His latest announcement follows a similar logic, but it comes in a considerably different geopolitical environment.

Trump met Kim three times during his first presidency as the two sides attempted to negotiate over North Korea’s nuclear weapons program. Those discussions ultimately broke down in 2019, and no comprehensive agreement was reached.

Since returning to the White House, Trump has repeatedly signaled that he remains interested in reviving diplomacy with Kim. North Korea has also suggested that it remembers Trump’s previous engagement positively, although Pyongyang has continued expanding its nuclear and missile capabilities.

In September 2025, Kim said he had “good personal memories” of Trump and suggested that future negotiations could be possible if Washington abandoned what he described as its insistence on denuclearizing North Korea.

Trump’s latest move came one day after he posted a photograph of himself with Kim and said the two leaders get along well, despite the serious expression visible in the picture.

The decision to reduce the military exercises could therefore be viewed as part of Trump’s broader effort to reopen space for diplomacy with Pyongyang. At the same time, it raises questions about whether reducing joint training could weaken deterrence at a moment when North Korea continues to strengthen its military capabilities.

For South Korea, the announcement creates an additional challenge as Seoul balances its long-standing defense partnership with Washington against the rapidly changing security environment in Northeast Asia.

The United States and South Korea have maintained their military alliance for more than seven decades. Their combined exercises have been a central feature of that relationship, intended to ensure that both militaries remain prepared to respond to a North Korean attack.

Trump’s order does not end the exercises altogether, but its effect could be substantial depending on how the Pentagon implements it. The administration will now have to determine which elements of the training will be reduced while attempting to preserve the operational readiness that U.S. and South Korean commanders consider essential.

The decision also leaves open a larger question about the future direction of U.S. policy toward North Korea. Trump appears willing to take steps that he believes could improve relations with Kim, even when those steps may concern traditional U.S. allies or military officials.

For now, the South Korean exercises are continuing, but Trump’s order has introduced uncertainty into one of the most established elements of the U.S.-South Korean security relationship. How far the Pentagon ultimately goes in reducing the drills could become an important test of the administration’s approach to both its alliance with Seoul and its pursuit of renewed engagement with Pyongyang.

Leave a Comment