
WASHINGTON, May 1 – U.S. President Donald Trump said Friday that he remains unconvinced by Iran’s latest proposal aimed at ending months of confrontation between Washington and Tehran, signaling that major disagreements still stand in the way of a broader settlement.
Speaking to reporters at the White House, Trump acknowledged that Iranian officials appear eager to negotiate but said the proposal delivered through mediators failed to address key U.S. concerns. His remarks came as fragile ceasefire conditions between the two countries continued to hold despite growing tensions across the region and mounting fears that renewed military escalation could disrupt global energy markets once again.
Iran reportedly submitted its newest framework for negotiations through Pakistani intermediaries late Thursday, according to Iranian state media. The diplomatic effort is part of an ongoing attempt to prevent the conflict from spiraling back into open warfare after weeks of missile strikes, naval confrontations, and regional instability that rattled international markets and alarmed governments worldwide.
“They want a deal, but I’m not satisfied,” Trump told journalists during a press briefing. “We’ll see what happens next.”
The president declined to publicly explain which parts of Iran’s proposal were unacceptable, though officials familiar with the negotiations have suggested disagreements remain over maritime security, sanctions relief, and military guarantees tied to the Strait of Hormuz.
Trump Signals Frustration as Diplomatic Efforts Continue
Although direct military clashes have significantly declined since the ceasefire took effect earlier this month, the political atmosphere between Washington and Tehran remains tense. American naval restrictions on Iranian shipping activity have continued to place pressure on Iran’s economy, while Iran’s influence over the Strait of Hormuz continues to create uncertainty for global oil supplies.
The narrow waterway remains one of the world’s most strategically important energy corridors, with a substantial portion of global oil and gas shipments passing through the route every day. Even limited disruptions have already contributed to volatility in energy prices and increased concern among major importing nations.
Trump suggested that ongoing negotiations have become difficult because of divisions inside Iran’s leadership structure. According to the president, multiple factions within the Iranian government appear to disagree over how far Tehran should go in negotiations with Washington.
“It’s a very divided leadership,” Trump said. “Some want a deal quickly, others don’t seem prepared to move forward.”
The president also referenced a recent security briefing with Adm. Brad Cooper, the commander overseeing U.S. military operations in the Middle East. Trump described the current situation as a moment where Washington must decide between continued diplomacy and the possibility of stronger military action.
“We either try to reach an agreement or we take a much tougher path,” Trump said, while emphasizing that the administration continues to evaluate all available options.
Despite his criticism, Trump noted that Iranian officials have shown signs of movement in recent talks. However, he questioned whether Tehran’s leadership would ultimately be able to unite around a final agreement capable of ending the crisis permanently.
The latest diplomatic exchanges come after both countries traded sharp public threats in recent weeks. International observers have warned that even a minor incident in the Gulf region could rapidly collapse the ceasefire and trigger another round of hostilities.
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi spent much of Friday speaking with regional leaders and diplomats from several Middle Eastern countries, including Turkey, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Iraq, and Azerbaijan. According to statements posted on his official social media accounts, the discussions focused on diplomatic initiatives and regional security concerns tied to the ongoing conflict.
European Union foreign policy chief Kaja Kallas also held discussions with Araghchi regarding efforts to stabilize maritime traffic in the Gulf and reduce the possibility of renewed fighting. European officials have increasingly pushed for negotiations aimed at restoring commercial shipping routes and preventing wider regional instability.
Pakistani officials have continued to position Islamabad as a key intermediary between Washington and Tehran. Former Pakistani ambassador to the United States Masood Khan said the continued exchange of proposals suggests that neither side has fully abandoned diplomacy despite the hostile rhetoric coming from both capitals.
Khan noted that communication channels remaining open is an important sign that efforts toward compromise are still alive, even as military tensions persist in the background.
Humanitarian Concerns Grow Inside Iran Amid Ongoing Crisis
While diplomatic negotiations continue abroad, conditions inside Iran remain tense following months of conflict, economic pressure, and political unrest.
Iranian Nobel Peace Prize laureate Narges Mohammadi was transferred from prison to a hospital after what her foundation described as a severe deterioration in her health condition. According to statements released Friday by the Narges Mohammadi Foundation, the imprisoned activist reportedly suffered multiple episodes of unconsciousness and serious cardiac complications.
The foundation accused Iranian authorities of failing to provide proper medical treatment during her detention. Mohammadi, a prominent human rights advocate and lawyer, was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 2023 while imprisoned for her activism and criticism of Iranian authorities.
Her latest hospitalization has renewed international attention on human rights concerns inside Iran at a time when the government faces increasing internal and external pressure.
Meanwhile, Iranian media outlets reported that an explosion involving unexploded munitions from earlier fighting killed 14 members of Iran’s Revolutionary Guard near the northwestern city of Zanjan. Reports from Iranian outlets, including Nournews and the state-run IRNA agency, said the blast involved leftover cluster bombs and other military explosives from previous attacks carried out during the war.
The incident marked one of the deadliest single events involving Iranian security personnel since the ceasefire began. Authorities reportedly launched an investigation into how the explosives detonated.
The broader regional conflict has already caused thousands of casualties across multiple countries since violence intensified earlier this year. Iranian officials say more than 3,000 people have been killed inside Iran during the conflict, while clashes involving Iran-backed groups in neighboring countries have added to the humanitarian crisis throughout the Middle East.
Israel, Lebanon, and several Gulf states have also suffered casualties linked to the expanding confrontation, while U.S. military personnel stationed across the region have faced repeated threats during the crisis.