Maduro in US custody at New York detention center as Trump says US will ‘run’ Venezuela

Maduro in US custody at New York detention center as Trump says US will ‘run’ Venezuela
A photograph which U.S. President Donald Trump posted on his Truth Social account shows what he describes as Venezuelan President “Nicolas Maduro on board the USS Iwo Jima” amphibious assault ship, currently in the Caribbean Sea January 3, 2026. The image appears to be taken from a printed photograph, as white edging can be seen around the image. What appears to be the letters DEA can be seen on a black uniformed person next to Venezuelan president Maduro. U.S. president Trump said DEA officials were involved in the operation. Verifying the location was not immediately possible as the photograph is tightly cropped. But the patterning of grey hairs within Maduro’s mustache matched recent imagery of him. @realDonaldTrump

CARACAS/WASHINGTON, Jan 3 – Nicolás Maduro, the deposed Venezuelan leader, arrived in the United States to face criminal charges after being captured in a daring overnight military operation. Once firmly in control of the South American nation, the long-time leader was taken into U.S. custody following a highly coordinated overnight military operation inside Caracas. The action marked the most forceful American intervention aimed at removing a foreign leader in more than two decades and immediately raised serious political, legal, and humanitarian questions.

Maduro and his wife, Cilia Flores, were transferred to U.S. soil late Saturday, where they now face federal criminal charges tied to alleged drug trafficking and terrorism-related offenses. U.S. President Donald Trump framed the mission as both a security necessity and a strategic opportunity, openly stating that Washington would temporarily oversee Venezuela’s transition and take steps to revive its oil sector.

A High-Risk Operation

According to official U.S. briefings and statements from senior defense figures, the operation unfolded during the early hours of Saturday morning under conditions of near total secrecy. American forces moved swiftly into Caracas after months of planning that reportedly involved intelligence agencies, military commanders, and senior White House officials. The mission targeted a heavily secured residential compound inside a military zone, where Maduro and his wife had been staying.

U.S. officials said elite troops rehearsed the raid repeatedly, using detailed replicas of the location to prepare for every possible scenario. Aircraft operated at low altitude across the capital as explosions were reported in multiple areas, causing widespread confusion among residents. Venezuelan authorities later accused the United States of striking both military and civilian facilities, claims that Washington denied, saying only defensive and strategic targets were hit.

During the raid, U.S. helicopters reportedly came under fire, and at least one aircraft sustained damage but remained operational. American officials acknowledged injuries among their personnel but confirmed that no U.S. service members were killed. Venezuelan officials, however, stated that civilians and members of the local security forces lost their lives, though no confirmed figures were released.

By the time the operation concluded, Maduro and Flores had surrendered inside what U.S. officials described as a fortified safe house. They were flown out of Venezuelan airspace within hours and eventually transferred to New York, where a heavy security convoy escorted Maduro to a federal law enforcement facility.

Trump Says US Will ‘Run the Country’ After Maduro’s Capture

Speaking publicly hours after the capture, President Trump described the mission as a turning point for both U.S. security and Venezuela’s political future. He said the removal of Maduro would weaken drug trafficking networks that, according to U.S. authorities, had used Venezuela as a major transit hub. Trump also made it clear that Washington intends to play a leading role during the transition period.

The president stated that the United States would help stabilize the country, restore its oil infrastructure, and oversee governance until what he described as a “safe and proper” transfer of power could take place. He argued that Venezuela’s vast energy resources, once repaired and managed, could supply oil to global markets while helping rebuild the country’s shattered economy.

Maduro in US custody at New York detention center as Trump says US will ‘run’ Venezuela
Supporters of Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro embrace in downtown Caracas, Venezuela, Saturday, Jan. 3, 2026, after U.S. President Donald Trump announced that Maduro had been captured and flown out of the country. (AP Photo/Cristian Hernandez)

Despite these claims, there were no immediate visible signs of a new governing authority inside Venezuela. State television continued broadcasting messages supportive of Maduro, while government-aligned figures insisted he remained the nation’s legitimate leader. Protests broke out in parts of Caracas, with supporters accusing Washington of imperial overreach and calling for Maduro’s release.

Under Venezuela’s constitution, the vice president is next in line if the president is unable to govern. Delcy Rodríguez initially stated she did not intend to assume power, but the country’s high court later named her interim president. Even then, she publicly maintained that Maduro remained the rightful leader, deepening uncertainty over who truly controls the state.

Legality and Fallout

The legality of the operation quickly became a central issue. International law experts questioned whether the United States violated principles of sovereignty by capturing a foreign leader without consent from the host nation or authorization from the U.S. Congress. Lawmakers in Washington from both major parties expressed concern that no formal approval had been granted for such a sweeping military action.

Senior members of congressional oversight committees demanded immediate briefings, seeking clarity on the legal basis for the mission and Washington’s long-term plan for regional stability. Critics warned that bypassing legislative approval could set a dangerous precedent and increase the risk of prolonged conflict.

Global reaction was equally swift. Countries leaders, diplomats, and regional governments called for restraint, urging all sides to prioritize civilian safety and national sovereignty. At the United Nations, an emergency Security Council meeting was scheduled following requests from Latin American nations concerned about escalation and spillover effects.

Inside Venezuela, daily life appeared frozen in uncertainty. Much of Caracas remained unusually quiet, with businesses shuttered and public spaces largely empty. Armed groups guarded key government buildings, while residents stayed home, unsure of what the coming days might bring. Many described a sense of shock rather than celebration or protest, reflecting years of political fatigue and economic hardship.

Maduro’s rise to power followed the death of Hugo Chávez in 2013, and his rule was marked by disputed elections, economic collapse, and international isolation. While opposition groups long claimed his leadership lacked legitimacy, the manner of his removal has sparked debate even among critics who opposed his rule.

1 thought on “Maduro in US custody at New York detention center as Trump says US will ‘run’ Venezuela”

Leave a Comment