
CARACAS, Venezuela, Jan 3 – The United States carried out what it described as a large scale military strike against Venezuela in the early hours of Saturday, followed by an extraordinary announcement that President Nicolás Maduro had been captured and flown out of the country. The operation, revealed by US President Donald Trump through social media posts hours after the attack, has sent shockwaves through Latin America and raised urgent questions about legality, regional stability, and the future of Venezuela’s leadership.
Explosions echoed across Caracas before dawn, with residents reporting the sound of aircraft and heavy blasts that rattled buildings and plunged parts of the capital into darkness. While the full scope of the operation remains unclear, US officials characterized the mission as a coordinated action involving American military and law enforcement agencies, marking one of the most consequential interventions in the region in decades.
Overnight Military Operation Shakes Caracas
According to statements from US officials, the strike lasted less than half an hour but involved multiple targets linked to Venezuelan military and security infrastructure. Residents in Caracas and nearby areas described at least seven explosions, accompanied by low flying aircraft sweeping over the city. Videos circulating online showed flashes lighting up the night sky, smoke rising from military facilities, and vehicles continuing along highways as blasts erupted in the background. Independent verification of several clips confirmed they were filmed in the capital and in at least one coastal city.
President Trump stated that Nicolás Maduro and his wife, Cilia Flores, had been taken into custody and transported out of Venezuela. He said the operation was conducted successfully and in coordination with US law enforcement, adding that a formal briefing would follow later in the day. The White House did not immediately disclose where the couple had been taken or under what specific authority the operation was conducted.
US Attorney General Pam Bondi later said that Maduro and Flores would face criminal proceedings in the United States. In a public statement, she asserted that both would be held accountable in American courts, referring to long standing allegations involving drug trafficking and terrorism related conspiracies. Maduro and several senior Venezuelan officials were indicted in New York in 2020 on such charges, according to US Justice Department records, though details regarding Flores and whether new indictments were issued were not fully explained.
Within Venezuela, the government reacted swiftly. Officials accused the United States of attacking both civilian and military installations, labeling the action an imperialist assault on national sovereignty. Calls went out on state media urging citizens to mobilize in defense of the country. Armed civilians and members of a government aligned militia appeared in some neighborhoods traditionally loyal to the ruling party, chanting slogans demanding Maduro’s return and holding posters bearing his image.
Vice President Delcy Rodríguez addressed the nation later in the morning, stating that the whereabouts of Maduro and the first lady were unknown. She demanded proof of life and said that under Venezuelan law, the vice president would assume authority in the event of the president’s incapacitation or absence. While she did issue statements condemning the attack, there was no clear confirmation that a formal transfer of power had taken place.
Residents described scenes of fear and confusion. Carmen Hidalgo, a 21 year old office worker, said the force of the explosions was terrifying. She recalled feeling the air shake as she hurried home with relatives after attending a birthday gathering. Power outages were reported in several districts, although traffic continued to move in parts of the city as daylight broke.
Political Fallout and Global Reaction
The strike followed months of escalating pressure by the Trump administration against the Maduro government. US officials have repeatedly accused Venezuela’s leadership of collaborating with international drug cartels, citing intelligence reports and maritime interdictions in the Caribbean and eastern Pacific. The administration has framed these actions as part of an armed conflict against transnational criminal networks, a justification used to support dozens of boat strikes targeting suspected drug trafficking vessels. As of Friday, US authorities said at least 35 such operations had been carried out, resulting in more than 100 deaths.
Last week, US intelligence agencies were reportedly involved in a drone strike on a docking area believed to be used by Venezuelan drug networks. That operation marked the first known direct strike on Venezuelan soil in this campaign, according to officials familiar with the matter. Maduro has consistently denounced these actions as a pretext for regime change, accusing Washington of seeking to remove him from power by force.
The legal basis for the overnight strike remains a central point of contention. Members of Congress from both parties said they had not been formally notified in advance, and there was no publicly known authorization for the use of military force specifically covering operations inside Venezuela. The Armed Services committees were reportedly caught off guard, raising concerns about executive authority and oversight.
International reactions were swift and divided. Argentina’s President Javier Milei praised the announcement of Maduro’s capture, framing it as a victory for freedom and democratic values. In contrast, Cuba’s President Miguel Díaz Canel condemned the attack, calling on the international community to respond to what he described as a criminal assault on regional peace. Iran’s Foreign Ministry also issued a statement denouncing the strikes and warning of broader consequences.
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio briefed select lawmakers, including Senator Mike Lee of Utah, who later confirmed that Maduro had been arrested by US personnel to stand trial in the United States. Deputy Secretary of State Christopher Landau described the moment as a turning point for Venezuela, declaring that the era of authoritarian rule had ended.
Meanwhile, US authorities moved quickly to address safety concerns. The Federal Aviation Administration closed airspace over Venezuela and nearby Curacao due to ongoing military activity, and a warning was posted for American citizens still inside Venezuela, advising them to shelter in place.
2 thoughts on “Trump confirms US strikes on Venezuela, says Maduro captured”